Garbage & Recycling
Disposal of e-waste
As of January 1, 2012, the Electronic Products Recycling and Reuse Public Act 97-287 prohibits the disposal of e-waste (electronics) into landfills. Therefore, IV Waste Services no longer collects e-waste, nor serves as a drop-off location. Please contact your local electronics store to find a drop-off location near you.
2014 Electronic Recyling Events
Garbage Collection is governed by ordinance #1264 & #1484
- North of 11th-West of St. Vincent
- South of 11th-West of St. Vincent
- North of 11th-East of St. Vincent
- South of 11th-East of St. Vincent and East of Little Vermilion River
PARKING AFTER 3" SNOWFALL
It is unlawful to park any vehicle on any public street in the City Limits at any time after 24 hours have elapsed following a snowfall of three inches (3") or more until the snow and ice on the public street has been plowed from curb to curb.
Any vehicle parked in violation of this order is subject to be towed. Any person violating this Ordinance shall be subject to a fine of $25.00.
Any dwelling which is designed for or occupied by four or more families shall provide, on the premises, a dumpster. All garbage is to be placed in that dumpster. The landlord shall arrange for collection with a private hauler.
Garbage fee is $12.38 per month & is charged along with our water bill. Per ordinance each residence may place at the curb two 32 gallon containers each week.
Additional bags can be placed for pickup provided these bags have IL. Valley Waste stickers. The cost of a Household Waste Sticker is $1.75 and are ORANGE in color.
The Contractor shall collect and dispose of the following material:
A. Properly contained household kitchen wastes, including cans, bottles, paper goods, food and vegetable matter, attendant on the preparation, use, cooking and serving of foods.
B. Properly contained general household trash and refuse, including packaging material, empty cartons, crates, boxes, wrapping materials, newspapers and magazines, cloth material, empty cans, discarded toys, clothing and similar materials.
Specifically excluded from the materials to be collected shall be auto parts and tires, earth, sod, rocks, concrete, refuse from remodeling or construction of home trees or parts thereof with exception of small bundled branches as provided in the paragraph above. Hazardous household and automotive chemicals including, but not limited to, paints and varnishes, thinner and turpentine, pesticides, gasoline and other fuels, flammables and reactive materials, motor oil and coolant shall be excluded.
All perishable materials to be collected in the regular weekly service shall be placed in regular, standard garbage cans, no larger than 32-gallons in capacity, or suitable plastic garbage bags limited to 40-gallons in capacity of a wall thickness sufficient to hold the materials. Containers shall be loaded not to exceed 40 pounds. Lids shall be kept on containers when placed outside for collection. Items such as empty crates and cartons not to exceed 2' X 2' X 2' shall be stacked neatly alongside garage containers. Bags or bundle or yard waste and recycling material in designated containers, defined as above, shall be kept separate from other waste materials.
In the event that the day of service shall fall on a legal holiday, which shall be a day on which employees of the Contractor do not work, all pick-ups during the week of such holiday shall be delayed one day upon the publication of a notice in the newspapers. The following legal holidays shall be observed by the contractor: New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
Please call IL. Valley Waste with questions: 1-866-875-2293. You are allowed one (1) large item per week with your regular garbage pick-up. This can include furniture or household appliances that do not contain Freon or other gases, chemicals, or other materials known to require special handling prior to recycling or disposal.
Yard Waste - Lawn Bags
Yard waste shall be collected between the first full week of April and the last full week of November each year.
Yard Waste must be bagged in special yard waste bags with a city sticker & placed at the curb on your regular garbage day. Yard waste materials include grass clippings, leaves, weeds, bushes, and brush clippings. Loose materials shall be contained in generic 30-gallon paper yard waste bags made for that purpose. Individual branches less than three (3) inches in diameter and brush shall be bundled with biodegradable twine not to exceed four (4) feet in length or two (2) feet in diameter. Christmas trees shall be collected for the two (2) weeks following Christmas Day.
If you want to have lawn bag pick up at your address you must call Illinois Valley Waste at 866/875-2293 and give your name and address. All lawn bags with stickers will be picked up on Monday’s for the entire town. There is $2.25 price for lawn bag stickers, and these are only PINK in color. Extra garbage stickers remain at $1.75. Stickers are available at the courtesy counters at Save A Lot, IV Food Center, Hy-Vee.
Preparation of Recyclable Materials
Sorting recyclable materials is no longer required. Illinois Valley Wast Services is using a single stream collection system to pick up our recyclable materials. All materials can be placed in a 32 gallon or less container clearly marked 'Recycling'.
- Please be sure to rinse out and clean recyclable containers before placing them for collection.
- Remove caps and place them in your recycling bin separately. Often these are made from different plastics and will need to be processed differently.
Recyclable plastic products are identifiable by the three arrow triangle surrounding a number and the plastic type abbreviation. The three arrow triangle is usually found on the bottom of the item.
The following plastics are recyclable:
- #1 PETE (clear and green plastic resin) - Soda, Water, & flavored beverage bottles
- #2 HDPE (clear or colored plastic resin) - Milk or juice jugs, detergent & fabric softener containers
- #3 PVC or Vinyl - Health and beauty aid products, households cleaners, narrow neck containers only
- #4 LDPE Grocery Containers - Margarine tubs, frozen desert cups, six and twelve pack rings.
- #5 PP Grocery Containers - Yogurt cups and narrow neck syrup and ketchup bottles.
- #7 Plastic Resin - Narrow neck containers only
- Plastic buckets - Such as kitty litter containers, 5 gallon size maximum. Please remove metal handles.
Place recycling bin at curbside on your garbage pick-up day by 6:00AM and remove by sunset.
Other Recyclable Containers
- Aluminum and steel cans
- Aluminum Foil
- Pie Plates
- Decorative tins
- Empty aerosol cans
- Aseptic Packaging & gable top containers (paperboard milk and juice containers)
- Glass bottles and jars (clear, brown, or green)
- Kraft born paper bags
- Newspapers (plastic sleeves must be removed)
- Cardboard (no waxed cardboard)
- Chipboard (cereal, cake, and food mix boxes)
- Shoe boxes
- Junk mail (no plastic cards, stick-on labels or unused stamps)
- Paper-back books (no hard cover)
- Office, Computer, and notebook paper (no metal clips, spirals, or binders)
- Gift Wrap Paper
- Windowed envelopes
- Telephone Books
Please note, items that have food contamination (like a pizza box with cheese on it) are not recyclable.
Items We Cannot Recycle
- Motor oil, insecticide, herbicide, or hazardous chemical containers, even if rinsed or cleaned
- Plastic grocery or store bags. Most grocery stores have boxes in the store where these can be recycled.
- Plastic Film (plastic sheets, tarps, or wrap)
- #6 - Expanded foam or clear polystyrene (This includes the foam inserts that are inside a box to protect electronics, CD cases, and clear plastic cutlery)
- Window Glass
Contact the City at 815-223-3755 or 815-223-6344 with your name, address and the location of the branches to be removed. The branches must be at the curb or the alley (the crews cannot remove branches from private property) and can be no longer than 6 (six) feet in length. Please place smaller branches and twigs in a container/box for easier pick-up. You will receive a bill from the City for $10.00 (the first 15 minutes) and .75 cents every minute after the first 15 minutes. The City cannot remove trunks or stumps and cannot trim your trees. Contact a tree service for this type of work.
City Building Inspector: Chris Covert
To request an inspection by phone contact (815) 223-2980, you may leave a voice-mail with a call-back number, the address of the property to be inspected, and the permit number. The inspector will contact you with available times. Generally you should allow 72 hours from date of request to an inspection. More Info >